Harjauca Monastery
  • ban 4

  • ban 4

  • ban 4

Harjauca Monastery

The monastery was built on the bank of the Harjauca rivulet and is located about 75 km west of Chisinau city and 24 km far from Calarasi town, at the foot of a hill covered with secular oak. The monastic life begins to take shapes in Harjauca around the year 1740. It is said that the skete of monks chooses a settlement the surrindings of a source suspected to have healing properties, located in the heart of Codri, on the estate of the boyar Niculita. 

ORDER

DESCRIPTION

The first church built was a wooden one with five beautiful towers and chosen titular Saint- "Assumption of Virgin Mary". The architectural complex of the monastery was formed in the late '30s of the 19th century. The Ascension of Our Lord Church (1820-1836), was built of stone instead of a wooden one which previously was dedicated to the Assumption of Virgin Mary" and the Winer Church "St. Spiridon", was built a little later, also of stone. After the Union of Bessarabia with Romania in 1918, the monastic life is revived under the guidance of the Archbishop Nicodim of Husi, the future patriarch of Romania. For eightyears (1920-128), the distinguished Archbishop Gurie Grosu carries out his activity here, being advanced, later, to the rank of Metropolitan. After the war, in 1953, the year of Stalin's death, the darkest page in the history of the monastery begins. Thus, in 1953 the monastery is closed. During the Soviet occupation period of bitter atheism, two years after the closure, it is converted into a rest home and in 1959, into a sanatorium. The monastery was reopened only in 1993. In 1994 the monastery gathered 12 people living there, and sanatorium "Codru" was forced to concede a part of the building. In the autumn of 1994, the church dedicated to the "Ascension of Our Lord" was reconsecrated. The Church is similar architecturally to the Metropolitan Cathedral from Chisinau, which was built in the same period. In 1998 the priorship building was vacated, which after restoration was consecrated in the summer of the same year. At the same time, the refectory and a one-floor building next to the Winter Church were conceded.  At the end of the first decade after 2000, restoration worksare performed here. The team of restorers kept as evidence of the past, the wall on the left of the altar, where we can see today the traces of arrows that the image of Christ has received.

MESTOPOLOJENIE

OSTAVITI_OTZIV