The Holly Gates
  • ban 4

  • ban 4

  • ban 4

The Holly Gates

One of Chisinau's most important historical and architectural monuments is the Holly Gates, which represent one of the elements of the city centre's architectural complex. The monument had two other names Triumphal Arch, Victory Arch. It is situated on Stefan cel Mare blvd., between the main Government building and the Metropolitan Cathedral Nativity of the Lord, next to the Great National Assembly Square – like a gateway to the holy place.

ORDER

DESCRIPTION

The Arch was built in 1841 by the architect Luka Zauckevici. The architectural structure shows a square building with a height of 13 meters, divided into two levels. Above this level there's the second stone cornice which tops the whole construction. There are marble commemorative tablets fixed on the Holly Gates, on which there's carved an order by Supreme Commander-in-Chief of military forces of ex-USSR about liberation of Chisinau from German-Romanian invaders on 29 August 1944. First, it was intended to hold a huge bell made from old Turk cannons, afterwards the clock was added, the bell weighs 6.4 tons. The construction is square and it leans on 4 pylons from cut white stone. Pylons and 16 side-columns of Corinthian order are topped by borderline cornice, frieze of which is ornamented by slip white glaze. Above the cornice along 4 foresides there are stone arches which form attic level, bridged by stone coffering. Here's big bell and clock mechanism.   The Arc de Triumph is witnessed of a lot of events that took place here, in the Capital of this country.

MESTOPOLOJENIE

OSTAVITI_OTZIV